Sunday, October 23, 2011

Apex Failure Resistant Extractor and Speed Shooter Specialties extra power extractor spring

I haven't seen more than a handful of extraction failures in this gun throughout its 15,000 round lifespan, but figure that was still too many. Picked up the Apex tactical FRE and the speed shooter specialties after marker extractor spring and set to work.

And work it was. The factory extractor pin is without a doubt the toughest fitting sumbitch I have ever laid eyes or hands on. I broke a punch, a screw driver, and bent the hell out of another punch before I relented and pulled up the Apex Youtube page for some instruction. Following their recommendations, I ground a nail punch down to the appropriate size to fit this tiny ass pin, and after a few good wacks it fell free. Installation after that was 1000% simpler, and just as uneventful.

Apex recommends 300-400 rounds to break in the extractor, but frankly I have yet to have any issues. Updates will follow if anything changes, but considering this companies already exemplary record (at least in my experience) I am not too worried about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment